About the Choir
Romsey Youth Choir was formed in October 2010 as a non-audition choir open to all young people aged 11 to 18 who love to sing. Since then they have produced cup winning performances at Bournemouth, Portsmouth and Southampton Music festivals as well as taking part in a variety of charity fund raising concerts including George’s Trust, Parkinson’s UK and Hampshire Air Ambulance. The choir have performed with the South Wales Male Voice Choir, Romsey Male Voice Choir, Romsey Concert Band and other local musical groups in a variety of venues from Romsey Abbey to Winchester Great Hall.
We recorded Romsey Youth Choir in July 2013 in Romsey Abbey, Hampshire. The main intention was to record a live concert and then produce a number of CD’s for sale afterwards.
Setting up for a live recording is always more demanding because you have to factor in the requirements of an audience. Ultimately whilst we were in the Abbey to record, the audience had paid money to see and hear a concert so it was important for the microphones not to be too intrusive.
As far as possible we kept microphones either to one side or very high up when central. This plan allowed a compromise between the very best location for the purpose of recording whilst also considering the line of sight for the audience members.
Another key factor to consider with audience members is cable runs. Obviously at 4 Part Music we take laying cables very seriously and everything is always taped down and made secure. Nevertheless, audience members can be even more unpredictable than choir members and so not only did the cables have to be made secure but so did the microphone stands.
As well as the choir we also had to contend with some soloists as well as a piano being off to one side which had to be carefully mic’d in order to balance with the choir in post production.
- Simi yadech – trad
- A little Help from my friends – Lennon and McCartney arr by Peter Hunt
- Hallelujah – Cohen arr by Emerson
- Swing Low – spiritual arr. by Peter Hunt
- The Rose. Amanda McBroom arr knowles
- Blue Mountain River- Dillon and Lakeman arr by Peter Hunt
- Bridge over troubled water – Paul Simon arr by Sechler
- The seal Lullaby – Eric Whitacre
- Amazing Grace : John Newton arr by Excell
- Aka Tonbo: – Kousaku Yamada arr Bob Chilcott
- My Lord What a Morning: arr by James Wild
- One More Day – Chris Williams
- Summertime – Gershwin arr by Heyward
- Way faring stranger arr by Unterseher
- On My Own: – Schönberg arr by Lojeski
- I dreamed a dream:Schönberg arr by Lojeski